Liquid Bomb Complot

Luis, there was no prevented assault involving liquid bombs in London. There just are airport owners who want to force you to enter their overpriced "duty free" shopping malls. ;-)

At least that's the idea I had when waiting for my flight on Nottingham East-Midlands: My brand-new water bottle was thrown away at the security check, after the check there was only one shop offering water for a price of £ 3.20 per litre. The waiting area was full of shops and noisy. The departure monitors wrote "relax and shop" for pending flights. Relaxing was impossible at that noisy place. The shopping part made me angry considering the insanly high price level of that area.

Disclaimer: Don't take this theory too seriously. Most certainly there really was a prevented assault, but the effects of this prevented assault just are not acceptable for me. This "enhanced" security checks take forever, cause paranoia among flight guests and security personal. Well, and finally I am pretty sure they will not protected me from being killed by a terrorist. If the flight checks are too restrict, terrorists will target other public transportation vehicles to reach a high body count.

Comments

Alex commented on July 30, 2007 at 10:45 a.m.

There have actually been some ~30 prevented attacks, according to police. Only the other week was another h2o2 gang found:

(Sorry about the long link)

That's the stuff that the bottled water ban is trying to prevent people bringing onto aircraft. Other modes of transportation are somewhat less risky, because they're not pressurized environments and it's much harder for such an explosive to do its work.

Mathias Hasselmann commented on July 30, 2007 at 11:05 a.m.

No idea about the amount of prevented attackes. Nevertheless I am very angry about airport (shop) owners trying to generate revenue from those security measures. Well, but that kind of greediness seems to be comon for Great Britain anyway.

Tim commented on July 30, 2007 at 12:47 p.m.

I found that in the uk airports I've used since those rules came into effect the price for bottled water has actually dropped quite a bit and is much closer to high-street prices now than it used to be, at least in shops like superdrug or WhSmith. Probably helps too if there's more than one shop in the departure lounge.

Alex commented on July 30, 2007 at 1:41 p.m.

I side with Tim on this - I don't think they are taking advantage of the security measures; I think you underestimate how expensive they were in the first place.

A lot of retailers in airports see themselves as primarily serving business travellers, and set their prices accordingly.

I'm not sure greediness is common in Britain per se, but with the strength of Sterling at the moment, it's a pretty expensive place to visit for most people.

Mathias Hasselmannn commented on July 30, 2007 at 3:22 p.m.

Alex: Well, the bottle they threw away cost me £0,60 - expensive enough, but well: that's the street price. Within the airport I've paid £3,20 for the same amount of water. Sorry. but I have no other word but greediness for this.

Elroy commented on July 31, 2007 at 10:34 a.m.

I'ts all BS anyway. They could just have people drink from the bottle.

No way anyone will drink H2O2, or all the components for an explosive.

I for one would not give up freedom for a little more safety, that to me means the terrorists won.

Through their tactics they made us give up something that is the foundation of our society.

Unfortunately the governemnt and the EU in my case are very liberal at passing new laws that restrict freedom (did I say libaral in this contect). Everytime they pass a law or directive like this they use terrorism as their excuse.

Why do they use that, because if they don't no one will stand for it. They are abusing the publics fear for passing laws and they disgust me.