Dear Kids

Dear Davyd and Anonymous: I really hope you guys grow up one day and realize something must be wrong with your attitude when you react on slight critism with words like "Politely, please go eat a dick" or "It's like a murderer hating to see the police, sry...".

Update: I took the "vegetarian" out the title, 'cause I do not indend to blame this group of people. I am just upset about the strong word Davyd and that anonymous person used to insult me.

Comments

Sandy commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:05 p.m.

Wow. So something's wrong with Davyd's attitude because he doesn't like being told what he's allowed to write on his own LiveJournal?

I'd better start being more careful about what I blog, too! I wouldn't want to offend anybody that disagrees with me!

A different anonymous commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:06 p.m.

Well, you were pretty out of line.

If you have a thing against vegetarians please keep it to yourself. No need to annoy other people with it.

Mathias Hasselmann commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:11 p.m.

A different anonymous: I am just against getting insulted.

An other different anonymous commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:12 p.m.

@ A different anonymous and Vegetarians

Well, you were pretty out of line.

If you have a thing against carnivores please keep it to yourself. No need to annoy other people with it.

Vide commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:16 p.m.

The problem is, and Mathias is completely correct, that constant real-life offtopics on PKO are irritating. and this includes posts about being or not being vegetarian, politcs (to Bush or not to Bush) etc etc. I mean, an OT from time to time doesn't hurt anyone. Constant offtopic does.
So, fix your tags, fix PKO aggregator, but if I'm following PKO is because I'm following Gnome development, not developer's lives

Sandy commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:21 p.m.

@Vide: I feel like a broken record here...

Jeff (the maintainer/editor of Planet GNOME) encourages people to use their entire feed for just this reason. We are more than what we code. Planet GNOME will always be hugely off topic. Get over it! :-)

A different anonymous commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:23 p.m.

You weren't insulted by Davyd. You were rude to him and he was similarly rude in telling you to get lost. He was pretty justified.

The anonymous poster was a little more extreme, but you started the debate. You feel that eating meat is ok, the anonymous poster feels it's murder. If you feel insulted by that argument then why did you start the discussion at all?

Davyd commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:25 p.m.

Mathias: never once have I discussed the editorial content of your blog. You are both arrogant and out of line.

Vide: I am sorry to see that you didn't appreciate my last two posts. I am also sorry that the rate of my technical postings has not met your requirements. This is unfortunate, but just the way it is. If you want to set my blog to ignore within Planet, follow these instructions: http://live.gnome.org/PlanetGnome

Vide commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:36 p.m.

Davyd: I wasn't complaining about your blog in particular, it was a more general complain but, as Sandy says, if PKO topic is "Planet GNOME is a window into the world, work and lives of GNOME hackers and contributors." I should get over it :P

Dennis commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:45 p.m.

Mathias, you completely missing the point here. Planet is an collection of blogs, of people who are allowed to write ANYTHING they WANT TO. Complaining about the content of someones blog is stupid. I agree that Davyd his response was harsh, but I think I would been tempted to use much stronger word if you were telling me what to write and what not to write.

You made a huge mistake, now don't whine over being insulted.

iain commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:48 p.m.

Mathias, it is very rude of you to drag a (semi) private argument into the open in an attempt to paint yourself as the martyr. You were out of line in telling Davyd what he could or could not talk about in his own blog.

Dennis commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:49 p.m.

And now we are at it. Sandy is right, planet is a window into the developers their life. If you want to follow gnome development, follow live.gnome.org/RecentChanges and the svn commits. Read the changelogs. THERE is the development.

gnome is not a company with some blog policy to amuse the readers and spread the company vision subconsciousness or something

√Čtienne Bersac commented on September 28, 2007 at 3:58 p.m.

Hi,

I agree it would be nice to have p.g.o topic. I use a seperate blog for gnome ( gnome-scan ) and wish to use a gnome.org blog, but that's *only* for gnome matters.

I don't care about politics, philisophic, religious point of view. Same goes for daily blog. Seems someones have to inform the world about how they breakfast was cold or hot …

Regards,

Dennis commented on September 28, 2007 at 4 p.m.

I can't see how people think that blogs are about what other people care about. They are about what the writer cares about, if you don't like that: filter. This crap is just beyond imagination.

Jani commented on September 28, 2007 at 4:01 p.m.

Mathias, I think that you asked for it by stating that Davyd's post is annoying 'us' and by attacking him even though not as directly as he retorted.

Philip commented on September 28, 2007 at 4:06 p.m.

hugs anyone?

Vide commented on September 28, 2007 at 4:14 p.m.

@Dennis: no one here (at least I speak for myself) wants to force other people to blog about one topic or another. I was just asking that, since this is a gnome-related planet, and since there *are* methods to publish on a certain planet only certain posts, people part of PKO uses them.
And sorry but RecentChanges and svn commit log doesn't include developer's ideas, mockups, screenshot, rfc on some implementation and so on.

Mathias Hasselmann commented on September 28, 2007 at 4:20 p.m.

Mathias Hasselmann commented on September 28, 2007 at 4:24 p.m.

iain: As you suggested by yourself: Discussions on a blog are not private.

A different anonymous commented on September 28, 2007 at 4:35 p.m.

Mathias:

Perhaps you're interpreting "eat dick" more strongly than most. I think of it as a more mild form of "f*** off".

If you commented on my blog saying "your posts are annoying please post about something else" I would probably respond with "f*** off". I see Davyd's response as more mild than what I would have told you.

[You also have a rather annoying censor on your blog, so I have to say f*** instead of what I really want to say. This may be an indication that you're more sensitive to swear words than average. And 'dick' isn't even a swear word.]

Dennis commented on September 28, 2007 at 4:39 p.m.

Vide: Actually, live.gnome.org DOES include the ideas, screenshots, mockups and etc. This is why live.gnome.org actually exists.

Vincent Geddes commented on September 28, 2007 at 4:55 p.m.

Vide: Another excellent, strictly on-topic source of information is the GNOME Journal. Nothing there that will distract you from the full-on GNOME information experience ;)

Chris Cunningham commented on September 28, 2007 at 5:14 p.m.

- Chris

Emmanuele commented on September 28, 2007 at 5:52 p.m.

@vide: it's PGO, pogo or pgo, not PKO.

Sean commented on September 28, 2007 at 6:24 p.m.

"Well, alot of comments. I still do not see what justfies Davyd asking me to eat a dick."

Probably the same thing that justified you posting on his blog saying that he can't post about vegetarianism (he wasn't even advocating it or trying to convert anyone, he was just talking about it).

Planet GNOME is about all GNOME developers, both what they code and what they as human beings do. Some of those human beings are vegetarians. You trying to censor his blog is very much deserving of an "eat a dick," "fsck off," "bite me," "shove it up your arse," "burn in hell," "go jump off a bridge," "go cry to momma," or any number of other retorts which are not meant to be taken literally as they are all slang for "go away and leave me alone."

If you are that upset over a "strong word," that's your failing, not Davyd's. It's just a word. Words are never, ever strong. Meaning is strong. Davyd didn't literally mean for you to "eat a dick," so get over it.

iain commented on September 28, 2007 at 6:27 p.m.

I did say semi-private, meaning that 99% of people will not see or read the comments. Your blog could have been left as a further comment on the blog, but you decided to move it into the open for a wider audience to see how sanctimonious you thought you were...except, by the look of all these comments, it has backfired.

bronson commented on September 28, 2007 at 7:22 p.m.

"slight criticism"??

You piss on Davyd, then feign surprise when he pisses right back? And then you vent this crap on PGO, the very forum that you were trying to clean up??

That's pretty funny if you were intentionally trying to troll. If not, then maybe you could apologize and avoid pissing on people next time?

lol commented on September 28, 2007 at 9:30 p.m.

Dear sirs,

Duck you.

Sincerely yours,

Mr Troll.

(As a side note davyd should stfu on planet, it's irritating static noise and counter-contributing to everything important.)

Dennis commented on September 28, 2007 at 10:11 p.m.

lol: Could you please show me the code you have contributed to the gnome project ?, thank you.

R. commented on September 28, 2007 at 10:31 p.m.

Mathias, I really hope you guys grow up one day. If you feel some guilt about eating meat and dislike seeing vegetarianism in others, that's your problem. Elsewise, petition for everyone to keep their personal, non-GNOME lives off of the planet.

Rob Pike commented on September 28, 2007 at 11:10 p.m.

Davyd suggesting that Mathias eat a dick is surely against true vegetarianism. I am disgusted.

a completely different anonymous commented on September 29, 2007 at 2:45 a.m.

I still don't see why Davyd has to "justify" what he writes on his personal blog, including comments to people who insult him there.

I see right now on planet.gnome.org posts about blogging, Windows XP, Ray Charles, something in Spanish I can't even read, that somebody got up early on Wednesday, prescription drugs, a haiku, an Adrian Mole book, Amazon's new MP3 store, a blue Cooper Mini, and the murder of a Japanese photographer.

But never mind all that. How dare Davyd use his blog to talk about his diet!

David Adam commented on September 29, 2007 at 5:43 a.m.

This is the most awesome thread I have read in a while.

FLAME ON!

Mathias Hasselmann commented on September 29, 2007 at 9:35 a.m.

David Adam: You cannot imagine how happy I am, that I didn't enable E-Mail notifications for new comments yet... :-/

ves commented on September 29, 2007 at 11:15 a.m.

That Michael Meeks guy is the best. Every morning you get to find out what time he got up at, what he had for breakfast and what his travel plans are for getting to work. Incredible.

Vide commented on September 29, 2007 at 11:58 a.m.

@Emmanuele: so please start aggregating conundrum posts, readers should be happier! :P

randomwalker commented on September 29, 2007 at 10:50 p.m.

Squarely behind Davyd on this one.

I speak as a meat-lover. That has nothing to do with it. It's just a freedom of speech thing.

Mathias Hasselmann commented on September 30, 2007 at 6:26 p.m.

randomwalker: That entire freedom of speech thing doesn't free anyone from showing a minimum level of respect for other people. Well, actually there is no freedom of speech without respect for other people and opinions. In my opinion Davyd's choice for words shows quite some lack of respect.

Dennis commented on October 2, 2007 at 9:17 a.m.

Mathias, you keep whining about the words that Davyd choose to respond to YOUR lack of RESPECT on HIS blog. Ok, admitable, words were not nice. But damn!

What you still fail to see is that telling others what to blog about on their blog is complete lack of respect.